Building Permits

Building in Glen Echo – Permits & Forms

The information below was originally published in January 1994 in a brochure by the Town of Glen Echo. It is a guide to some of the regulations and procedures for construction and other building projects in the Town. This guide is informational only, and does not supersede the Town Ordinances.

The brochure, in its entirety, is available here: Building Brochure

The Building permit fees can be downloaded here.

The Permit Application is available for Downloading Here.

This guide is informational only, and does not supersede the code of ordinances, which are available from the Glen Echo Town Manager. We encourage anyone planning construction work in the Town to obtain and review a copy of Article 3 Building Code .

Please see Standard Permit Conditions all building projects must abide by: Standard Permit Conditions adopted 2.8.21

Note that if you plan to install something in the right of way, this may necessitate a right of way agreement, which includes a public hearing. 

Trucks need to follow the attached Truck Route

We look forward to working with you to make your project a success for you and a positive contribution to the whole of Glen Echo.


Glen Echo Town building permits are required for all building of any kind or description in the Town. The Town Permit is required before building can commence, you can download the permit application and view the Building permit fees . A  Montgomery County Permit usually also is required.

Town building permits remain in effect for twelve months.  Projects continuing after one year need to apply for a permit extension. 

Application for a Town Building permit should be made in writing to the Town Manager accompanied by drawings and tracings sufficient to convey the extent and character of the work to be done.


Weekdays 7 am – 5 pm 75 dBA (85 dBA with a Noise Suppression Plan
Weekdays 5 pm – 9 pm 65 dBA
Weekdays 9 pm – 7 am 55 dBA
Weekends & Holidays
9 am – 9 pm
65 dBA
Weekends & Holidays
9 pm – 9 am
55 dba

We follow Montgomery County rules for construction noise standards. For more information please click here.



A permit, without fee, is also required before “razing, felling or erecting any building, structure, tree or any object which may endanger or cause reasonable apprehension of damage” to people or adjoining property.


A Town grading permit is required before the start of any grading, clearing, filling or other earth change which may introduce sediment into any Town watercourse, move more than 100 cubic yards of earth, or involve a project cost of $500 or more.

The Town may impose conditions on the grading permit, or deny it altogether, if the work poses public safety and welfare hazards. Standards and specifications for soil erosion and sediment control are available from the office of the Montgomery County Soil Conservation District.

The Town Grading, Erosion and Sediment Control Office is responsible for inspecting work. Permit holders should request inspections before beginning work, and at key project stages. Applications for permits should be made to the Town Manager.  State and County permits may also be required.


Permits are not required for minor interior repairs where there is no interference with the construction of the building or alterations which do not involve any change in their structural parts.


The Council has initiated a process by which residents notify Town Hall and abutting / adjoining residents when an external building project is scheduled that will last longer than one day, even if a Town permit is not required. Internal projects that involve work outside such as sawing may also qualify. This is important in our town with small lots and narrow streets.

Residents are asked to let neighbors and the Town know how long the project will take, dates of the project, and that the project will adhere to: Parking restrictions; Truck route requirements; and County Noise levels guidance. Please use the form here.


The Town is especially concerned about the safety hazards that dumpsters cause when parked on Town streets. In consideration of others in Town, we ask that dumpsters not be placed on Town streets at all, and that in any case they have clear reflective markers. Dumpsters and pods require a permit. 

Vehicles may not be left on Town streets longer than five days without permission from the Town Council, and trailers may be parked on Town streets only if attached to motor vehicles, and then only for five days.


Gutter spouting should not be arranged such that it casts water onto adjoining lots.


A Town Permit is also required for constructing, destroying, or otherwise altering curb cuts, pavement, sidewalks, drains, utility poles, and so forth in Town. Connections to sanitary sewer mains and water mains must be done under supervision and direction of the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

Please review the ordinance that applies to ARTICLE 17 – Streets and Sidewalks  and Building permit fees.

If construction results in debris or materials blocking public streets or sidewalks overnight, the obstacle must be marked with warning signs, barricades, and flashing yellow lights visible at least 300 feet to the front and rear; and must be safely marked during the day.

Any earth, mud, or other foreign agent piled up on public sidewalks, streets, or drainage areas must be promptly removed.


To allow time to consider alternatives, the Town Council must be given 60 days notice before any tree more than 10 feet high or 4 inches in trunk diameter is removed; and before any tree is “topped” such that limbs are cut back to stubs larger than 3″ in diameter in a way which removes the normal canopy or disfigures the tree. This requirement may be waived in cases of imminent danger or hardship


Do you operate a business in the Town of Glen Echo?

If so, you need to register your business with the State Department of Assessment and Taxation. This department will assess the value of the personal property used by your business. You are required to pay personal property tax to the State, County, and Glen Echo on this assessed value. Corporations must file their charters with the state and renew these applications yearly when filing their returns

Although they are copied from a disk provided by the Town Manager, the guidelines presented above do not constitute an “official” version, which can be obtained only from an official of the Town.